Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Princess and the Frog

I went to Redbox today and rented my kids a movie because the rain was pouring down outside. Judah does not have a good history with movies. Whenever I broach the subject of watching a movie that he has not seen, he begins shaking and chanting, "no no no no no no nooooo!". It isn't a pretty sight. I don't force him to watch anything. but he always enjoys the movie once it has started. Granted, he shakes through anything even slightly scary (think scary toys from Toy Story or Wall-E or the sea lion thing from Happy Feet), but the laughter usually outweighs the shakes.

So today's movie started off the same as it always does. Judah asked if he could watch Bambi, and I told him that I had rented a movie for him and his sister. After much protest, he sat down and began to enjoy himself. It didn't end well.

Judah wet his pants. He stood up off the couch, and I noticed that he was wet and asked if he had peed his pants. I made him go upstairs and change his clothes, and when he returned, we picked up where we had left off. About twenty minutes later, he had peed his pants again. I guess the voodoo doctor was a bit much for him. I had even asked a ton of people if this movie was scary or appropriate for a four year old, and everyone said Judah would like it. WRONG.

The movie ended with Judah crying. Spoiler Alert: The firefly, Ray, gets squashed by the voodoo doctor. Judah began to weep. "Now he can't fly anymore, Mama." It took a while for the boy to compose himself and see that Ray got to be with Evangeline, his true love. Yeesh. Forget ever taking the kid to the theater without a change of clothes and a box of tissues. The kid has a tender heart. Poor guy.

3 comments:

  1. Awww...poor guy... Thanks for posting this...I was thinking about getting this movie for the kids to watch but now I probably won't bother. :) Hope the little guy is sleeping sound tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one creepy movie. Pretty sure our girls had nightmares after we watched it and I know Katy did after she saw it in the theatre with Caitlyn.

    I bawl my eyes out at the ending. =(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let the kid watch Bambi for heaven's sake!!!

    ReplyDelete