Monday, July 5, 2010

Lettuce Wraps

The list of items that I can/do make for my family is pretty small and ordinary. I have recently decided to add to the ordinary and try to make things that I might actually order if I went to a restaurant. I mean, who is going to go out and order spaghetti and tator tot casserole? (Don't answer that.) My other goal in this adventure is to cook meals that are more healthy. Let's face it, I'm not going to be giving up soda or late night ice cream any time soon. I need to cut down on the calories, carbs, and fatty sugars in my cooking. My first fantastic adventure began Saturday night with lettuce wraps. I adore these wraps from The Cafe in Ames and from PF Chang's, so I went online and found a recipe to make them. I called up my friend, Krista Wrage, to assist me in this adventure, and we headed to the store.
It was phenomenal. The amount of red pepper flakes suggested made our noses run as we dined, so I recommend adjusting that if you are a pansy...just kidding...next time I will definitely not put that much pepper in. We also opted to buy prettier lettuce than iceberg. Oh, and for Will's sake, I left out the mushrooms. I am sure they are a lovely addition.
    1 - 20oz pkg - Extra Lean Jennie-O Ground Turkey

    1/2 C fresh mushrooms, chopped

    1/2 C scallions (green onions), thinly sliced on the bias

    3/4 C red bell pepper, chopped

    1/2 C carrots, chopped

    8 oz. can of water chestnuts, chopped

    1/4 C Kikkoman Teriyaki Sauce

    1/4 C Kikkoman Lite Soy Sauce

    2 T sugar free maple syrup

    2 T freshly grated ginger root

    1T red pepper flakes

    1 tsp ground black pepper

    1 large head of iceberg lettuce

Directions

In a small bowl combine teriyaki sauce, soy sauce, syrup, ginger root, red pepper flakes and black pepper. Set aside.

In a skillet heated to med-high heat brown turkey. If needed drain, then add vegetables and sauce.

Continue cooking and stir occasionaly until vegetables are tender and sauce has reduced.

Remove the core from the head of lettuce and cut in half. Using the larger leaves as the shell fill them with the asian turkey and enjoy "taco style".

Number of Servings: Four Hearty Servings

The recipe says "four hearty servings", which means that we eat a lot. There was enough food for three of us.

Nutritional Info
  • Servings Per Recipe: 4
  • Amount Per Serving
  • Calories: 236.6
  • Total Fat: 2.3 g
  • Cholesterol: 56.3 mg
  • Sodium: 1,333.1 mg
  • Total Carbs: 17.3 g
  • Dietary Fiber: 4.1 g
  • Protein: 37.1 g
Let me know if you try it and like it. I will absolutely make it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment