Wednesday, July 14, 2010

My Summer Journey

I have recently been made aware of the The Modern Library's Best 100 Novels List. I haven't read a good book in forever, so I decided to look this bad boy up and take on the challenge. I am going to begin with the Reader's List for the mere fact that I have read more books from this list. I don't have any goals for when I want to have this finished. I just want to get it done. I dragged my poor, boiling children to the library in the ridiculous heat today to check out my first book.

The Top Ten:
  1. ATLAS SHRUGGED by Ayn Rand
  2. THE FOUNTAINHEAD by Ayn Rand
  3. BATTLEFIELD EARTH by L. Ron Hubbard
  4. THE LORD OF THE RINGS by J.R.R. Tolkien
  5. TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD by Harper Lee
  6. 1984 by George Orwell
  7. ANTHEM by Ayn Rand
  8. WE THE LIVING by Ayn Rand
  9. MISSION EARTH by L. Ron Hubbard
  10. FEAR by L. Ron Hubbard
I didn't have much luck at the library.

I have read Atlas Shrugged. It is, in fact, my favorite book, and I was quite pleased to see it at the top of the list. I read Atlas Shrugged four-ish years ago because it looked like a challenge. Have you seen this book? It could kill a small child.

I have also already read The Fountainhead and loved it. I read this book last summer when I was on a mission to finish all of Ayn Rand's works. This was absolutely worthy my time.

I wanted to begin this adventure with Battlefield Earth, starring John Travolta...I mean by L. Ron Hubbard. I have zero interest in reading this book or any book by this founder of Scientology, but I will tough it out. I mean, the guy has three books in the top ten. He can't be THAT terrible. All three of these books were checked out at the Ames Library. Apparently, Ames has a large science-fiction-nerd following. Hubbard will have to wait for my attention.

Next on the list: Lord of the Rings. I didn't borrow this book because we own it, but now I don't know where it is. Man, this summer journey is going really well, eh?

To Kill a Mockingbird: We read this book in seventh grade. I considered tackling it again, but it was checked out. I will read it again someday...maybe later on this journey.

1984: I have read 1984 a few times. I read it in my Individualized Reading class when I was a junior in high school. I read it again last summer because Will had borrowed the movie from the library, and it again piqued my interest. It's an alright book. I didn't hate it. I don't need to read it again.

Anthem: I read this last summer, too. Eh. Not my favorite from Rand. It was a lot like 1984, actually...society has fallen...men work for everyone else...one man wants to break the mold and have a thought. I would have been annoyed to read these books back to back.

We the Living: I loved this book. I read it last summer and was up late into the night to finish it. I remember weeping on my couch around 2am when I was finally finished. Yep...I'm that kind of nerd.

We are back to Mr. Hubbard. I will look for these books when I go back to the library.

So, what the crap am I reading?!? I went down to #11: Ulysses by James Joyce. Apparently this book was extremely controversial back in the day and was banned from being printed in any English speaking country until 1934. I will begin it tonight when the kids are in bed. Let the journey begin!

2 comments:

  1. Tu eres mejor que eso.

    http://dissociatedpress.net/2007/02/26/peak-vs-pique/

    My interest would be piqued if you wrote about Nicaragua sometime soon. It would be the peak of my day to peek at the trip through your perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done, sir. Well done. I will try harder from now on to use that word correctly. I can change.

    I still don't have pictures from Nicaragua. How lame is that? I left my stinking camera on the plane. How does one write about such a life-changing trip without photos? It would be an injustice.

    ReplyDelete