Sunday, July 12, 2009

Transformers- Rubbish in Disguise

Will and I got a babysitter to come to our house last night after the kids went to bed so we could go on a date. We were debating between a movie or dinner because you really only get to do one when your babysitter doesn't come until 8. We chose to eat a light supper and then pig out on some sinfully buttered popcorn at the movie. As my title suggests, we chose to see Transformers- Revenge of the Fallen. Our reasoning behind this was that there weren't very many shows we wanted to see, and of those we would consider, this was the one that would most benefit from the theater setting.


The thing about the Transformers is that Will and I both grew up playing with the toys and watching the cartoon. I really don't understand the appeal of the movies if you don't have some sort of childhood memory linked to them. If someone were to say to me, "Jess, let's go see a film about giant alien robots who fight other alien robots on our planet while spewing forth a variety of corny catch phrases", I would probably be skeptical. I'm not saying I would turn him or her down, because I like a good action film. But if I had watched the first one for the movie and story line alone, I would not have wasted my time with the second one. But alas, I did.


The first problem with this movie, is that the beginning and ending plot is all about teenage love. They begin the film with that "say you love me first" crap and end the movie with the same stuff. I, for one, could care less if a couple of teenagers love each other or not. It was a stupid plot, and I felt like the writers gave it way too much air time. I realize that most of the people that went to this film probably enjoyed the shots of the young maiden straddling a motorcycle or sprinting from her impending doom with her breasts flailing out of her tank top. These silly additions I can live with...they are not necessary for the plot, but they are expected. I just think it is unnecessary to try to appeal to a larger crowd by throwing in that "I'm only 17 but so much in love" junk. I'm going to see the film for the action and special effects...isn't that what I should get?

The second problem with the film, is the pure hokeyness of it all. The writers really tried to give the aliens personality this time, and I think it ruined the film in a lot of ways. There were just too many stupid catch phrases and one-liners thrown in, sometimes even under a robot's breath. I'm not going to give a bunch away about the film, because there might still be a chance that I haven't turned you off completely, but know that you have been duly warned. This film is rubbish.

2 comments:

  1. I will NOT be seeing this film, if you could call it such. Sounds like the best part was the popcorn and there's nothing wrong with that. Plus alone time? Score!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i would probably think the same thing as you so thanks for sparing me the unnecessary disapointment and annoyance. you are a true friend

    ReplyDelete