Sunday, September 20, 2009

Dumbo

Judah has developed a real attachment to the lovable cartoon, Dumbo. Has anyone else watched this Disney abomination in your adult years? It is awful. I'm not even talking about the old school animation. The movie is old, so I can live with the crappy effects. I am talking about the weird content of the movie that I must have blocked out when I was a child.

Point One: Dumbo is blatantly mocked and abandoned by "adults" because of his big ears. After his mama gets thrown in the clink, the other elephants proclaim that he is on his own. It boggles my mind because Dumbo is clearly supposed to be a baby or else he would be able to talk.

Point Two: Baby Dumbo gets drunk. I totally didn't get it when I was little. I remember thinking the whole Elephants on Parade song and dance was creepy, but I was blissfully unaware that Dumbo is hammered. This is possibly Judah's favorite part of the flick. He is beside himself with giggles every time he sees the pink elephants. It is quite adorable...but creepy.

Point Three: The crows are clearly a ridiculous stereotype of the uneducated African American of the day. "I be done seen 'bout everything"? Come on, people. And why do they have to smoke cigars?

Point Four: Why on earth is Mrs. Dumbo let out of the loony bin? She attacks a child for making fun of her son and is let out after Dumbo becomes rich and famous? What kind of message are we sending here?

I am not sure who got Dumbo for Judah. (I think if was Uncle Worm:) It is just a weird movie. Am I just looking at it in the wrong light? I mean, millions of people have loved Dumbo for decades...I just don't get it.

3 comments:

  1. I'm detecting a trend: Pinocchio gets drunk and smokes, the jester in Sleeping Beauty gets drunk under the banquet table, and there is a bar scene with a provocative dance/song in The Great Mouse Detective. And that's just off the top of my head!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking of movies, and your admission of the love you have for zombies and or movies with zombies in them from an earlier blog, I have been thinking about you each time I see the commercial for "Zombieland". Do you have your tickets purchased yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not yet, but I'm totally into it! Wanna come? :)

    ReplyDelete