Monday, September 7, 2009

That Really Blows

Yesterday started out as a pretty good day. Church was great. Neither Will or I had any teaching, announcement, or greeting responsibilities so we could just go in and worship. Someone even brought in some amazing fruit pizza for everyone to enjoy. Mmmm mm! After church, the family and I tried out a new restaurant with our good friend, Sarah Mull, whom we hadn't spoken to in quite a while. The company was good, but the lunch itself left a bit to be desired. We went to Q'doba, a new Mexican restaurant in Ames. It is very similar to Pancheros in that you go through an assembly line ordering process. The thing that sucks about those places is that sometimes the workers get annoyed if I want to order for me AND Will. Why would I ever put them through such an inconvenience? I got up to the front of the line, and the girl asked me how many kid's meals I wanted. I explained that I had never been to a Q'doba, so it might take me more than three seconds to figure out what I want. I ended up ordering one kid's meal for Judah and Mayah to share and ordered Will's burrito. She then skipped on to the next person before I could tell her what I wanted, so there was an order of food between my food. It wouldn't have been an issue, but they were so rude about everything. It might be a while before we try that place again.

Moving right along with our day...Mama C called and decided she really wanted to see the kids, so we drove down to Altoona and switched out car seats in the Adventureland parking lot. She took Judah and Mayah home with her, and we drove home with Liam in tow. Since we had the afternoon to ourselves, Will enjoyed a day of fantasy football drafting while we watched LOST season 1 for the seventh time.

So, Jess, what is it that really blows?? Chill, I'm getting there. The day seemed to be going my way for the most part. It really had been quite pleasant. We had plans that night to play games with some good friends, so around 7:30, we packed up our son and headed to Story City. As I was nearing the city limits, I felt the SUV start to drag and pull to the right followed by a flapping noise. Will wisely suggested we pull off and check on what we both already knew was true. We were on the side of the road with a blown tire and no spare. 'Geeze, Jess, it seems pretty foolish to drive around with no spare. Where was it?' Well, friends, our spare just so happened to already be on the back left tire spot.

We called our friend to come and get us, and while we were waiting, a car stopped. The people in the car were very helpful. The big guy dropped to his knees and started taking off our tire before asking if we needed help. The other guy immediately got on his phone and started calling tire places with our tire number. Before they left, the big guy instructed us to take EVERYTHING out of our car before we left it. "Teenagers will break your windows out for a cool looking pair of sunglasses." In a panic, I stuffed my bag with everything that wasn't bolted down. Stupid teenagers. How dare they?? Well, after they left and we discussed the man's instructions, we realized that he was a police officer in Cedar Rapids. They threat level went down a notch.

We enjoyed a fun evening of games with our friends and got a ride home at the end of the night. I am thankful that we didn't have Judah and Mayah with us during this fiasco, and I am thankful that I wasn't alone. It is now 10am on Labor Day, and Will is spending his morning looking for someone who carries our tire size. Poor guy. That really blows.

No comments:

Post a Comment