Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Naughty Little Girl

Who me? Yes, Mayah, you.

Mayah is my limit pusher, as I have mentioned many times before. She is beautiful and wonderful and fantastic...and naughty. She has mastered her innocent and sad faces perfectly. I really do feel remorse when I have to punish her. She's good, folks.
Mayah has also finally developed an attachment to her mama. For a long time, Mayah appeared to be indifferent to Will and I. She seemed to love us just as much as she loved everyone else in Ames. While other little girls were pining for their mommies, Mayah was leaping out of my arms to snuggle with the stranger sitting against the wall. Now, she can't handle the tragedies of life if I go to the bathroom without giving her an invitation. It is a clear injustice if I defer the responsibility of getting her some milk to Will. This girl LOVES her Mama.
The other day, the kids and I were getting ready to go somewhere. I bundled myself up first and went outside to start the car. I told Judah and Mayah to get their shoes on, and I would be right back. For some reason, the Suv was parked on the side of the road instead of in our driveway. I got inside and started to pull it backwards into the driveway so I wouldn't have to lug the kids an extra five steps to the road. I looked in my rear view mirror as I was driving backwards into the driveway and noticed the door was open. I slammed the brakes and jumped out of the car. Mayah was inches from my back tire, shoeless, coatless, and screaming because I was leaving her.
It was terrifying. I was so scared and so mad at the same time. All I could think about are the stories I have heard about moms backing over their kids. I love that she wants to be with me now, but this new desire and her tendency toward misbehaving can be dangerous. What am I going to do with this little girl?

1 comment:

  1. When Mere was Mayah's size (and age, that's the truth) she lo-o-o-ved me. I awakened early one morning to her voice outside the window (in Hugoton, KS). She was afraid I wouldn't remember to take her on Ric's paper route (the job he got, but didn't do. And he picked up the payments,too...) so she just sat outside to wait for the arrival of the Wichita Eagle Beacon, knowing I'd take her to avoid bringing her in and risking waking the household.
    It had to be frightening, sickening, and grace-filling. You know it happens to good moms. Like when a parent forgets to remove a dozing kid from a car seat on a hot day.
    I'm glad you are both whole, and that you and Mayah have a continued magnificent journey.

    ReplyDelete