Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Like a Rolling Stone

Sometimes I wonder at the parenting choices I make. Sometimes I say things that I think are funny. And sometimes Will tells me they aren't.

Are you aching for an example? Judah has really gotten past the "whiny" stage for the most part. Sure he still has his moments of scrunching up his face and pouting, but comparatively, he is quickly reaching big kid status. We occasionally have to remind him to use his big kid voice or take a deep breath. These are the grown-up ways to deal with a whiny kid, right? Well, in addition to those, sometimes I sing a little Rolling Stones to my kids when they get in the "but I want that" state.

No, you can't always get what you want.
You can't always get what you want.
You can't always get what you want.
And if you try sometimes, you might find
you get what you need.

I'm not sure why I get such joy out of singing this to my kids. Judah now sings it to Mayah when she whines...do you think less of me?

Okay, so this morning Judah really didn't want to go outside in the cold to get in the car for Mommy & Me. He just kept saying, "I don't wanna go outside. I don't wanna go! I wanna stay in here where it is warm." (This kid might not look like me, but he and I share the same brain.)
I went out to put Mayah and Liam in their car seats, and when I came back in, Judah was begrudgingly pulling his coat on and singing to himself:

I can't always get what I want.
I can't always get what I want.

It was so hard for me not to laugh. It was so sweet how he turned it around and was coping with his situation.

I am now picturing Judah in school singing this to his friends... or his teacher *gasp*...or me if I want him to do something.
Me: "Judah, I want you to pick up your room.
J: "But, Mama, you can't always get what you want..."

No comments:

Post a Comment