Thursday, February 18, 2010

State Wrestling

State wrestling can only mean one thing in the Owens house...wrestling is almost over!! Okay, that's not the only thing it can mean. It can also mean funnel cakes, strawberry smoothies, and some good wrestling matches. If you know me at all, you know that I am a basketball girl. I love basketball and am genuinely frustrated that Ames doesn't have a women's league. I would totally play...maybe. The other thing that you may or may not know about me is that I am way too insecure to ask people to be on my team. And I FOR SURE wouldn't be brave enough to just show up and get put on a team! This is the same reason I do not play Ames volleyball. As much as I would LOVE to be on a team, I can't bring myself to just get put on a random team...what if I suck...my glory days are over...I am way to competitive to accept it if I am not any good anymore.

Back to wrestling...sorry about that digression. So, I have always been all about basketball. I would go to wrestling meets in high school to support my guy friends, but I didn't pay close enough attention to know what was going on. Then I marry Will. Will wrestled at Central College while I was there, and often told me about his passion to coach some day. Almost seven years later and I am still learning. I am not going to pretend like I totally understand everything. I know a good number of the moves, ref signals, and proper things to shout, but I am so amateur. I have a lot to learn if my children are going to join their father in this passion.

It is a whole different world than basketball. One thing that cracks me up about wrestling fans is that they get annoyed if someone shows up to an important meet that has never shown interest before. When I was in high school, we were usually ranked #1, undefeated, and two time state champions and the stands were always usually empty until the boys game began. No one but our parents traveled to watch us play regular season games. We would have killed to have one or two more people show an interest and were jazzed when people came to our state games. We finally had fans, no matter how fickle they might be. Wrestling fans whisper behind your back if you just show up at state without having supported them before. They only want true fans :)

Okay, back to the reason for my blogging...Judah and I have been going down to state every day to support Will. Wednesday, I dressed the kids up in Gilbert clothes and got a photo of them with Will before he left. This is of Judah and I today at the meet. He has been to state every year since he was born.
Sister-in-law, Caitlyn, and Judah (also included: man behind Caitlyn picking his nose)

Judah posing with the wrestlers behind him


Judah really wanted to make sure that his cup got in the photo. It is, you see, his favorite color.

I love this kid.

Judah brought his "super hero animals" with him. We tangled them in Caitlyn's hair for fun.

Will on the mat during one of the matches
Judah and I plan on going back tomorrow. Thankfully, I have had some great friends and a super mother-in-law watch Mayah and Liam while we go. I am enjoying special Mama-Judah time!

3 comments:

  1. Please don't let them follow in the wrestling passion, if I need to, I will move to Ames and bring them to Iowa State games every week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Patric. You can't dictate what your kids love. I think the Garrison family has demonstrated that times a billion...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear I get to see you guys this weekend in Newton! Don't get overly excited to see me... I'm only going for your kiddos =)

    ReplyDelete