Thursday, February 4, 2010

Who Knew?

So, I am either an amazing mother or completely clueless. Yep, those are your options...black and white...either or...which will you choose?

Judah is four years and two months old. He has zero interest in anything crafty. He doesn't like to draw, paint, collage, color, or cut. The only thing that can keep him occupied longer than five minutes is play dough. Whatever...I'm not worried about his development or attention span or anything really. I just rarely break out the craft supplies for him anymore because he will play with them for less time than it will take me to get them out.

Judah is, however, very interested in letters and reading. He knows what all of the letters are and what sound each letter makes. He is even reading a little bit (a very little bit). However, he simply refuses to work on writing. I have gotten preschool-like books from Target that we go through, but Judah always skips the writing letters parts. He just doesn't care, and I am okay with that...I mean the kid is only four. He will even rarely sit down at the table during preschool when it is time to work on worksheets. I'm not sure what else I have to tell you to get you to believe me that this kid has no interest in writing or drawing...I will assume I have made my point.

So tonight, Judah found some markers that GranDeb had gotten him for his second birthday. I went and got some construction paper for him to try them out, hustling as I assumed his interest would be held for a short time. He drew a city first and then stated that he was going to write his name. I stood behind him and was SHOCKED by what I witnessed. This boy has never written his name before. He has never had me show him how, nor did he stop to ask which letter was next. He just wrote it. Am I too amazed, or is this normal? Does a kid just decide he wants to write his name the way a kid decides he wants to be potty trained? What other things can this kid do? Maybe next time he says he wants to email someone, I will just step back and see what he can do. Or maybe he can fix supper tomorrow night or change the tire next time we get a flat. Oh the possibilities...

3 comments:

  1. Wow! That is awesome! =) Looks like someone has been quietly observing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, you have a genius on your hands. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wowzers.... that is SERIOUSLY AMAZING!!!! go judah... and yes jess, you are an incredible momma!!! quite the teacher! :)

    amber

    ReplyDelete