Thursday, June 11, 2009

I Love Her...I Really Do

Mayah is a lively child. I love her. I really do. But she absolutely tests my patience.






Isn't she beautiful?? Mayah needs a bath after nearly every meal. Bath times are hit and miss with her, too. Some days she will scream when we put her in and continue to scream during the entire ordeal. Other days, she will scream if we try to take her out. Every day with Mayah is an adventure. I really never know how she is going to react to things from day to day. Some days she is so sweet. The nursery workers at church dote on her and rave about what a great little girl she is. But most days, she is just waiting to erupt.

Judah asked to go to the library today for a new Curious George book. We loaded up and got into the library before any major tiffs. Once we got inside, Mayah realized that she could no longer help me push the stroller with Liam inside because I was parking it against the wall. She blew up. What do you do, right? Time outs are out of the question at the library because she screams all of the way through them. Swats are out because..we'll I think it's obvious. So today I went for the ignore the tantrum method. Luckily it was short lived but still frustrating. Mayah soon found solace in looking for a book. Once she found one she liked, she brought it over to me, which I assume means: read this. Wrong. She flipped out when I attempted to bring her onto my lap to read the book. Next, she found her way to the computers and put on the headphones.
I was really trying to get Judah to find his books so we could get out of there. I gave her the two minute warning and then went to retrieve her. Another screaming jag. We head out to the doors, Mayah helping me push the stroller, and have to stop so I can get the stroller up the stairs. She falls to the ground SCREAMING. A lady walks by and mutters, "someone needs a nap." Oh yeah, lady. Well, someone (you) needs a punch to the throat. I contained myself.

To sum up my day before the noon bell rang, I was ready to put Mayah up in her crib and shut the door. I just needed some away from my precious little girl time. How do people deal with the spirited child? She is nothing at all like Judah was at her age. Have I raised her so differently, or can kids really be THIS much different? I am baffled. As I listen to Liam screaming for my attention, I remind myself to say a quick prayer for his temperament. Please join me:

Dear Sympathetic God,

Please do your thing with Liam. Eliminate any tendencies he may have toward fit throwing and emotional outbursts. Shape him into an easy going lad.

All this in Your Name (and for my sanity),

Amen

3 comments:

  1. The top picture is my favorite Mayah picture of all time. It encompasses her three favorite things: Having something covering her head (in this case a hood, but in general it could be anything), wearing glasses, and having her picture taken.
    I sometimes wondering if this moment was her perfect storm of bliss that we may not capture again until the right low and high pressure systems collide. Come back El Nino.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the birth of your new baby "the blog" and yes, I did look up the word colloquy, even though I thought before hand that it had something to do with words. I have really enjoyed reading it, LOVED the bible reading by the two little ones and of course the pictures. Hopefully Liam will be featured soon as his photo is so small on the profile page.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I'm your first follower!!! Kind of like I'm one of your shadows :) I've been toying with the blog idea myself, but am having a hard time coming up with a clever name. And without a clever name, well, what's the point??? That being said, I love your blog's name!!!

    ReplyDelete