Thursday, June 4, 2009

A Night with the Girls

I got together with a few great friends the other night for some "we have to get away from our kids" time. We hooked up for some $1.50 burgers at a cute little grill your own steaks/burgers joint in a small town near my home. They are good burgers, too. I, of course, don't grill my own burger when I go. I don't even consider the possibility. I need a night every once in a while where I am not the one preparing the food. Our plan was to see a movie after burgers, but the selection seriously lacked. It is always an ordeal to decide which movie to choose when we get together, anyway. I am not the typical girl when it comes to movies. I mostly choose action films with little to no love story, if possible. I believe many a great movie have been tainted by the industry's need to insert love into every story line. Am I the only one who can make it through a life experience without falling madly in love with each person who experiences life with me? Sure, I'm married and happy, but even married people in movies fall in love with their supporting actors (to whom they are not married). Why can't someone just fight aliens or evade bank robbers without falling in love??


If my vote doesn't go toward an action flick, then I want a movie that means something or has thought put into it. I just can't get into a movie that is pure fluff. Don't get me wrong, I love to laugh at stupid movies that are stupid for the sake of comedy (example: Will Ferrell movies). But if a movie is meant to be about superficial relationships or love, I have a hard time keeping focused. This poses a problem when the girls want to get together for a "chick flick" like "The Notebook" or anything with Sandra Bullock. I have been known to suck it up and sit through "Legally Blonde", and I genuinely try to enjoy myself. It is all for the sake of camaraderie.

Anyway...we didn't see a movie. Instead, we headed to Cold Stone where we sat and talked until I got the dreaded call that little Liam was starving. It was a great night. I laughed so hard at times that my head was pounding all the way home. I don't know how I would survive without my girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment