Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Girl's Night

Tonight I left the comfort of my home and ventured out to "enjoy" a chick flick with some good friends. I have mentioned before that I am not a chick flick type of girl. I really only agree to go to this genre of movie because I like to get out of the house and be with friends...and my friends aren't always hot on the type of movies I like to see. During the previews, my friend, Julie, and I were giving the thumbs up or down to indicate if we would be interested in seeing each film. Our choices could not have been any more different. She gave a hearty thumbs up to Fame and Julie and Julia while flipping it downward for Surrogate. Quite the opposite for me. We are good friends, nevertheless.

So the movie I agreed to see was The Proposal. Luckily it was Matinee all Day at the theater, so I got my ticket for a measly five bucks. Gotta love Tuesdays! Unluckily for me, it was like every other romantic comedy I have ever seen. There will probably be some spoilers in here, so beware...if you care. Even seeing the trailer for the movie, you know that the two main characters will end up in love. Am I right? This movie had every scene necessary to make a romantic comedy. Unlikely lovers= check. Crazy old grandma= check. Scene where they sing together to "break the ice"= check. Man running after woman in airplane= check. So predictable. Here is what annoyed me the most: So I know that old ladies shrink with age. But the writers of this comedy tried to pull off the idea that 6'0" Sandra Bullock could fit into 5'5" Betty White's wedding dress...and it was long on SB. Come on. That's where they lost me.

Don't get me wrong, I did laugh at many a line in this movie. Ryan Reynolds can pull of the sarcastic comment very well, and Oscar Nunez (who plays Oscar in The Office) amused me a great deal. So I wasn't rolling my eyes during the entire movie, but I'm glad I only dropped a five spot for this evening's entertainment.

I can say with confidence that this movie would not make a top 200 list for me. Some day there will be a chick flick out there that I REALLY like...and when I find that flick, I will let you know. Until then...

2 comments:

  1. What about The Notebook?!? Everyone likes The Notebook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Argh. I actually made it all of the way through The Notebook without turning it off. That was big for me!

    ReplyDelete