Saturday, June 6, 2009

Movie Purge

Since the summer line up on tv is atrocious, Will and I have decided to watch all of the movies we own and purge those unworthy of of our household. Two nights ago, we put in "Once Upon a Time in Mexico". This is part of the Mariachi Trilogy, along with El Mariachi and Desperado. Johnny Depp, Antonio Banderas, Willem DaFoe...how could you go wrong?? It actually cracks me up that Enrique Iglesias is in this movie and does a not-so-horrible job. Who would have thought?

I really enjoy movies that have ridiculous fight scenes. My favorite sequence is when a man jumps through the air shooting and maneuvering in ways that are impossible. For this reason, Jason Statham is one of my favorite actors to watch. Please note that he is not one of my favorite ACTORS. I also love to watch the Kill Bill movies for the pure audacity of their fight scenes. Will and I saw the second Kill Bill in the theater a few years ago. Will somehow called his mom during the middle of a shoot-em-up fight scene. All she could hear were people screaming and guns shooting. Poor Mama O didn't know what to think. It wasn't until hours later that we were able to call her back and let her know that we weren't lying bloodied and bruised on the floor of a movie theater.

Anyways, we decided to keep "Once a Upon a Time in Mexico". It's a fun movie to pull out and watch. Johnny Depp's character saddens me a bit, even though he is corrupt. His character cracks me up the whole movie, so I am always a little sad when they pluck his eyes out at the end.

We pulled out seven or eight movies that have the potential of being purged. Next on the list is "Adaptation". I openly hate Nicolas Cage as an actor, so I need to give this movie another chance before I condemn it for the wrong reasons. You've got one more shot, Nick, and then you're out.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, great! Thanks for ruining the end of OUATIM for me. I haven't seen it and it was on my list of movies to watch. I need to be warned when there are spoiler alerts, man. I almost totally agree with your assessment of Nick Cage; however, every bad movie Nick has made or will make is worth the pure genius of H.I. McDunnough in Raising Arizona. You need to give that Nick Flick some love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jacob- I do agree. When I was complaining to Will about owning a NCage movie, I realized that we actually own three..and I enjoy them all. But, like I said before, they are all movies where he doesn't ACT like Nicolas or are humorous enough that I can ignore his poor acting. The other two are Raising A and Trapped in Paradise (which I enjoy more for Dana Carvey than Cage..."Didn't have snow chains!!") Good stuff.

    As for the spoiler...oops. I'm not used to this blogging stuff. That is my only excuse. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete