Sunday, June 7, 2009

A Night at the Crapbury

So, I had forgotten how weird "Adaptation" is. I really enjoyed watching it again. Charlie Kaufman is one interesting guy. Ignoring the creepy sex scenes, it is a movie I would recommend to people who like your non-traditional film. Nicolas Cage, an actor that I normally loathe, does a crazy good job as Charlie and Donald Kaufman. I think I am okay with Cage because I can barely even tell that it is him. Meryl Streep's character has some very thoughtful and penetrating lines. It is a film that is easier to appreciate the more times one watches it. We've decided to keep it in the rotation.

We also wasted an hour and a half with "A Night at the Roxbury". Complete nonsense. I had picked it up for five bucks a few years back because Will had never seen it. It was not worth the five sodas I could have purchased. I normally enjoy myself a good slapstick comedy, but this was Will Ferrell at his worst. The most amusing part of the night was when the credits were rolling and Will paused them to make sure he had caught a name right. Michael Duncan Clarke, the big guy who was in "The Green Mile" and "Armageddon", was in the film. He was a bouncer in this movie, and the credits listed him as Michael "Big Mike" Duncan. Funny. I guess he used to be a bodyguard for Will Smith, Martin Lawrence, and The Notorious B.I.G. According to Wiki, which we all know is 100% accurate:), he had someone cover for him the night B.I.G. was shot and got out of the business after that.

Michael "Big Mike" Duncan reminds me of a movie we watched once with Laurence Fishburne. The credits listed him as Larry Fishburne. I guess he was Larry back during his Pee Wee's Playhouse days. Laurence is much more sophisticated.

Tonight we are going to take a break from our movie purge and watch a trusted favorite, the third season of Arrested Development. There is no logical reason that this show did not make it more than 3 seasons. It is, by far, one of the best written comedies of our time. Alas, I should not get started on my disdain for the American public for not supporting this great show. Tsk tsk.

3 comments:

  1. This is too funny!! Just yesterday Josh and I were watching Angel and in an episode there was an actress who looked familiar. Josh looked her up (imdb) and we didn't recognize any prior roles, but saw she was married to Laurence Fishburne. And I was all - you mean LARRY? Ha ha. PW Herman is so deeply ingrained in my psyche.

    I'm glad you decided to keep Adaptation. Love it. And you're so right about Arrested Development! People are the worst.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Adaptation is the best. It is only not the best when put up next to Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed. I loved Eternal Sunshine but had a hard time convincing people that it was great. People are the worst.

    ReplyDelete